Sunday, February 24, 2008

Practices


Still practicing almost everyday. I'm also looking at lots of artworks online. The strange thing is, the more paintings I look at, the more often I saw paintings in the real world. I now see lots of possible painting places all around me. Don't know if it's good or bad for me 'cause I already daydream a lot to begin with.

BTW, that glass soap bottle I bought from IKEA sucks. It's the prettiest one I found, but the soap that comes out the spout are dark green and yellow, and has a metallic smell. Eww. I decided to stop using it after a year. Good glass to paint from though.

7 comments:

David Lobenberg said...

Your studies are nice and direct with no fussiness. I take it that you work in water color? I found you on William Wray's comment page. I visit his blog often. He is a wonderful oil painter.

Kate said...

Hi David! yeah I use watercolor/ white Gouach, cause it dries fast and easily portable. But I just started to get back into traditional media after years in 3D, so there's tons more to learn.
I love William Wray's stuff. His painting made me think every junk corner could be a painting corner now. And I love your portraits too! Your colors are awesome!!

Marco Bucci said...

great work!

Jeff Mahorney said...

OMG Kate! I just found your blog through Simon's and I am blown away. These studies are fantastic. The compositions are rock solid and the brush strokes clean and confident. So this right out of the tube watercolor with a little white gouache (like Nathan Fowkes)? I'm amazed.
I'll be checking out happy lemon often. :)

Kate said...

Hi Jeff! Thanks for the kind words, I see your paintings also has clean and confident strokes! (Though if you could see me putting those strokes down, I'm like extremely nervous, shaking, stroke it down, and hyper-ventilate.) Hopefully I'll get more confident with time. :-)

william wray said...

Nice! do I see a touch of Simon influence? He's good.

Kate said...

Mr. Wray, your newest Pasadena Alley has became my desktop picture at work. I hope by staring at it everyday I would learn something from you. :-)